Billesdon Good Neighbour Scheme
What is it all about?
Billesdon Good Neighbour Scheme (BGNS) uses voluntary effort from local people to provide help for ANYONE in our community who needs assistance.
What kind of help?
1. Transport for appointments or maybe shopping in Market Harborough
2. Household tasks, such as changing a light bulb or moving small items of furniture
3. Companionship to those who would like a chat and a cuppa or maybe a game of Scrabble
4. Support whilst recuperating from illness, such as gardening. taking children to and from school, or light housework
5. Help with writing letters or filling in non-legal forms; reading to the blind or partially sighted; learning to e-mail.
Who can use BGNS?
Everyone within our community - the service is open to anyone who does not have family around to help out in times of need or who does not have their own car.
How much does it cost?
The service is FREE. The only charge is for transport - this goes towards the cost of petrol. For example, a return trip to Leicester General Hospital would cost around £10 (2018 prices). Parking fees would also need to be paid for. Donation envelopes are available should anyone wish to make a donation to the running costs of the Scheme.
Is it safe?
All our volunteers have been checked by the police, are fully insured and carry ID cards.
How does it work?
A simple telephone call to 0754 862 1777 will be answered by a duty co-ordinator, who will arrange for your problem to be dealt with by one of our registered volunteers. The co-ordinator will then phone you back to confirm who will call on you and at what time.
If you need help and it is not mentioned here, it is worth giving us a call - we may be able to help ! The BGNS also provides a 'WELCOME PACK' of information leaflets to new residents of the village. Do contact the BGNS if you would like a Welcome.Pack.
If you would like information about becoming a volunteer, please phone the number above or Val Hill (chair of BGNS) on 0116 259 6679.
Information last updated Wed, 03 Jan 2018 14:23.